[asterisk-users] Slightly OT: SNOM & PoE

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri Aug 3 03:26:05 CDT 2007

Anthony Cennami wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I apologize for the slightly off-topic question, but I'm sure that the
> people best acquainted with the issue would be hanging around here.
>
> Question is, what are people using today to deploy PoE, and more
> importantly, PoE to SNOM phones?
We are running SNOM360's off a Planet POE Switch (FGSW-2620PVS)

This gives us 24 x 10/100 with PoE on all (but the GigE) ports (Power
over the data lines - not on unused copper pairs) and 2 GigE ports
(Copper + SPF). We then plug the Asterisk machine into one of the GigE's
and the other GigE into the rest of the network.
This works well with a centralised wiring closet - now all the phones
are on their own switch - making interference more un-lightly.  The
Switch allows you to look at the power consumption - which technically
means you can judge when there could be a "power problem". Oh - pretty
well priced too.. we paid about US $680 for the switch - which makes it
'low end' cost wise. Currently has no SNMP   :-(   - but has a Linux
friendly web front-end including setup of QoS, Access control and PoE
power consumption.

      POE Ports Status

Port 	Enable 	Power[mW] 	Current [mA]
	Port 	Enable 	Power[mW] 	Current [mA]
1 	Enable 	9 	46
	2 	Disable 	0 	0
3 	Disable 	0 	0
	4 	Disable 	0 	0
5 	Disable 	0 	0
	6 	Disable 	0 	0
7 	Disable 	0 	0
	8 	Disable 	0 	0
9 	Disable 	0 	0
	10 	Disable 	0 	0
11 	Disable 	0 	0
	12 	Disable 	0 	0
13 	Enable 	426 	8
	14 	Disable 	0 	0
15 	Enable 	2333 	46
	16 	Disable 	0 	0
17 	Disable 	0 	0
	18 	Disable 	0 	0
19 	Enable 	2206 	45
	20 	Enable 	499 	48
21 	Disable 	0 	0
	22 	Disable 	0 	0
23 	Disable 	0 	0
	24 	Disable 	0 	0

OK - so not many ports are active - but its interesting to see that each
port seems to be consuming different levels of power...

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE