[asterisk-users] Teliax Quality of Service

Baji Panchumarti baji.panchumarti at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 15:40:27 CDT 2007

  On 8/2/07, John Meksavan  wrote:

> Asterisk Users,
>
> I recently ran into some problems with the quality of service with Teliax.
> This occurred on August 1, 2007 with a dropped outbound call, audio
> quality isse on the callee side- not hearing me well on callee side, and
> sending DTMF tones (configured for RFC2833).  Am I the only Teliax
> customer having this problem?

 ditto here this week, random breaks in audio, garbled voice etc.

 My softphones dialing in from outside had no audio issues. Others
 on teliax forums suggested I switch to SIP since iax2 is aggressively
 evolving and teliax equipment is experiencing some incompatibilities
 with recent * iax releases.

 I changed codecs from gsm to ulaw, voice quality improved but same
 random breaks.

> It seems like when I am ready to go live with my Asterisk PBX System, I
> run into quality of service issues with the SIP provider.

 Consider having some fall back options from alternate providers since
 it doesn't cost a whole lot to keep an active account.

> Who should I go with that would guarantee me quality service just like
> an analog line?

 I have heard that there is no such thing unless your provider & you have
 a dedicated, or at least highly reliable, circuit between the two of you :

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datagram_Protocol

  "UDP does not guarantee reliability or ordering in the way that TCP does.
   Datagrams may arrive out of order, appear duplicated, or go missing
   without notice. Avoiding the overhead of checking whether every
   packet actually arrived makes UDP faster and more efficient, at least
   for applications that do not need guaranteed delivery. Time-sensitive
   applications often use UDP because dropped packets are preferable
   to delayed packets..."

  One of the reasons Time Warner, Armstrong, Cox and other cable
  broadband guys are able to offer fairly reliable voip service is that
  they control the pipes between their VoIP proxies and their end
  users.

  It is also the reason vonage, teliax and other 3rd party vendors
  have more issues. I used broadvox a few years ago, if the callee
  answered before the caller had heard a ring the line went dead :-)

  -baji.