[asterisk-users] Receiving SIP calls without registeration and dynamic IP address

bilal ghayyad bilmar_gh at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 12:56:25 CDT 2007

Hi Alex;

Kindly find my answers below preceeded by ( * ).

Bilal,

The purpose of registration is to establish a
contactability/reachability URI information in the
registrar dynamically.

* What is the URI?

If you have a static IP on both ends you can nail up
an IP-trusted peer session / SIP trunk. If not, some
form of registration will be required.

Registration does not necessarily require a username
and password;  in
fact, it is rarely sent with the registration anyway.
Instead it is
usually sent as a response to a 407 proxy challenge in
subsequent
requests,

* Who send the 407 proxy challenge and what is that
407 proxy challenge?

 unless the REGISTER message is interrogated with that
prior to being accepted, which depends on how you have
the UAS configured.

* What is the UAS, also I did not get u in this
paragraph.

Other than that, not quite sure what you're asking
precisely...

* I was asking if the endpoint send a call, and it has
a username and password typical to that configured in
SIP.conf file, then should this end point being
registered or not?

Regards
Bilal