[asterisk-users] Blip every 30 seconds?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Aug 2 10:57:41 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Steve Totaro wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Joe acquisto wrote:
>>

>>> Telephone "conversations" that are being recorded, are supposed to
>>> "beep" periodically, to alert/remind the recorded person that the
>>> conversation is being recorded.
>>>

>> You really ought to qualify this with the country and the relevant laws
>> that you think require it ...
>>
>> In the UK there is no such law/rule/supposition. You don't even have to
>> tell the other party the call is being recorded - just one person in the
>> conversation needs to know. (although "your calls may be recorded for
>> training purposes" ... whatever they are!)
>>
>> So if you call me, then your call may be recorded. Or it may not be.
>> You'll never know ...
>>
>> Gordon
>>
> Joe never mentioned law, he just said "supposed to".  I believe that
> this is common courtesy really, so "you should" or are "supposed to"
> probably make sense.  At least to my way of thinking.

You're right. But there is not even a hint of supposition in the UK.
You're not supposed to do anything, and from what I gather, in some
orginisations supposing a common coutresy would appear to be discouraged.

At best you might get a message on their web site, and very occasionally a
recording (which, given that you're paying for the call adds to the
irritation), that your calls "may be recorded for training purposes", but
more often than not, you don't get told (as there is no legal obligation
in the UK!) yet you know that every time you call any major entity - bank,
insurance co, mortgage, finance, telco, ISP, etc. the call will be
recorded.

Gordon
(In our brave new recorded and monitored, big-brother world)