[asterisk-users] Turn off SIP 183 Session Progress in Asterisk 1.4.8

Richard Brady rnbrady at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 03:53:08 CDT 2007

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your response.

> Yes, the option is progressinband in sip.conf

As far as I can tell, the progressinband setting does not prevent the
183 from being sent altogether. For example, with
progressinband=never, early audio from UA1 to UA2 after a 180 ringing
will still trigger a 183 from UA2 to UA3.

>  Why do you care about the 183 or not?

The 183 message exercises a bug in the software used by a certain
ITSP, whereby ring-back continues to be heard by a PSTN caller after
the call is established with 200 OK. Disabling the 183 would be an
effective temporary workaround.

> Also it wouldnt hurt to read the SIP RFC's to have a better understanding of
> what is going on:

Thanks for the links, I have read these documents. Is there something
I appear not to understand?

Regards,
Richard

--