[asterisk-users] Poor man's High Availability solution

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Sun Apr 29 03:36:05 MST 2007

On 28 Apr 2007, at 22:22, Laurent CARON wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering what the best option to obtain a high availability
> asterisk server is.

Here's what we do when consulting in this area:

First decide what the maximum acceptable downtime is, and
what the costs to the business of that downtime would be.

Use that as the starting point for the HA design.

Discuss with the telco what they can do.

Avoid complexity at _all_ costs.

> Since it is possible with BRI cards, i'm wondering if it could be done
> with PRI.

No, BRI has a 'bus' topology, PRI is point-to-point.

Taking a BRI from the same telco into a second asterisk box
and having them redirect calls to it when the PRI is down
could be pretty economical.

In fact if you could persuade them
to put the BRI in the same hunt group, but at a lower priority the
switch over would be seamless at their end - all you would need to do
is ensure the main asterisk powered itself off if it crashed, thus
dropping the
PRI.

Tim Panton
(speaking as westhawk....)