[asterisk-users] Poor man's High Availability solution

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 16:06:22 MST 2007

Hi Laurent -

> Is it "technically" good to connect an E1 span to 2 cards at the same
> time (with only one accepting the calls).
>
> Since it is possible with BRI cards, i'm wondering if it could be done
> with PRI.

Nope.  You can use a device like the Redfone fonebridge to convert the
PRI to TDMoE.  Possible Downside: I've read some reports that say the
TDMoE module in asterisk is not so stable.

I've heard of a device that acts as a failover for a PRI line so you
can plug a PRI into two different devices and have the PRI failover if
one device fails.  Unfortunately nothing like this is commercially
available today.

Another option: You can get some backup analog PSTN lines (or an
additional PRI), and work with your Telco to do something like a
busy-redirect - if the PRI device ever fails, calls go to the PSTN
lines.  Of course, you'd lose DID capability in this scenario, but at
least your calls would go through.

- Noah