[asterisk-users] Best Wireless bridge for Polycoms

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Apr 27 08:24:40 MST 2007

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Mike wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm stuck doing an install with Polycoms at a small office with no RJ-45.
> They went wireless 100%, poor them.  I insist on using Polycom unless it's
> impossible because that's what I am standardized on for many reasons.
>
> What's the best way/device to turn a wired Polycom 501 (or any Polycom for
> that matter) into a WiFi phone?

I was going to suggest this:

   http://www.smartbridges.com/products/ap.asp

but it's discontinued, and their replacement units are all outdoor type
things as far as I can see - but that's the sort of thing you're after -
essentially a WiFi client device with an Ethernet port on it.

I know many cheap APs can be run in this mode, (often called client bridge
mode, but it depends on the venduh) so it's worth while looking round for
one that will sit on the desktop out of the way. You might want one with
(eg) a 4-port ethernet switch which would then talk to 4 phones if they
were in the same physical location (adjacent desks for exmaple)

Sometimes the client bridges do funny things to forge the outgoing MAC
address though - the smartbridges did which confused older versions of
DHCP server, so that might be a consideration.

Ah, a quick search reveals this:

   http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=292

I wasn't impressed with DLink Wi-Fi kit when I was using them in a
community Wi-Fi broadband project some years ago, but maybe they've
improved since.

Gordon