[asterisk-users] asterisk slows down when unplugging internet cable with VoIP lines

Giorgio Incantalupo gincantalupo at fgasoftware.com
Thu Apr 26 06:37:23 MST 2007

Hi,
I have an Asterisk 1.2.9.1 on a Debian Sarge distro connected to a VoIP
provider via internet.
I noticed Asterisk gets slow and  behaves in strange manner if I unplug
my internet cable from the PBX: for example I get incoming calls after
seconds or I get no audio during calls.
I thought it was something connected to DNS resolution so I put VoIP
provider addresses inside /etc/hosts but still have slow problems.
I made some tests adding registrations to providers inside sip.conf
keeping my PBX disconnected from internet: after a "sip reload" the CLI
simply stay freezed waiting for something. Trying to "sip reload" gives
a message Asterisk is still waiting to perform the last reload. A real mess!
I read on internet, inside dns.h file reference, Asterisk is using
synchronous dns functions...infact a note explains that:
"Asterisk DNS is synchronus at this time. This means that if your DNS
does not work properly, Asterisk might not start properly or a channel
may lock"
How can it be? If this should be true this would be a big problem with
VoIP lines since losing internet connections is not so uncommon (if so,
why nobody else got this trouble?)
Is it possible to bypass this behaviour or should I avoid VoIP lines??

TIA

Giorgio Incantalupo