[asterisk-users] Asterisk brute force watcher (was FYI)

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Thu Apr 26 05:56:02 MST 2007

Steve Totaro wrote:
> [...]
Depends... I myself have an extremely modified IPS like script I chopped
up for myself. If I posted it, it would look like a horrendous
shell+ruby+perl +awk+sed nightmare with no comments that most
programmers would likely roll their eyes at in disgust.

Depending on how you run your Asterisk machine (DB or no DB) it should
be doable with iptables (--flush), ipf, ipfw, etc. I have one of my
servers set to do a few things with my script... 1) If a user attempts
to register and fails more than 5 times ... Email me the username and IP
address. It doesn't get blocked yet. This way no legitimate remote user
complains... 2) If a user attempts to register and fails, check the IP
address and see if they're trying to register using multiple names, if
they are, then automatically block them via iptables...

I started to tinker with an entire IDS/IPS devoted to Asterisk
(www.infiltrated.net/scripts/divinityPoC) but haven't had time to finish
it. Besides, (and I'm sorry to say this)... Asterisk's logging
mechanisms/errors infuriate me. Sometimes their errors make no sense -
wth is a doohicky error you guys? So I left it alone. I've butchered it
for managed PBX's with under 50 users, but for thousands of users, its
no good.

Right now one of my machines has: 341 sip peers [308 online , 33
offline] / 45 active channels : 24 active calls ... I don't even count
how many trunks and attached * machines I have on that server. And this
is only one of about maybe 15-20 I deal with on a daily basis...

What I had envisioned for divinity was based off of my Asteroid program
(www.infiltrated.net/asteroid/)... Catch any anomalous SIP messages and
nip it in the bud. The heuristics behind it though would be a full time
job in itself so I left it alone. I may or may not continue it, but
right now I have little incentive to. 1) Too much studying going on for
me... 2) Work keeps me tied up... 3) Family life... Besides I've
configured my machines to where I'm comfortable with them which was my
main goal. Last thing I want to do is release something half done to
hear the criticism "You're program is half baked!" blah blah...