[asterisk-users] Asterisk on Debian Etch

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Wed Apr 25 11:52:17 MST 2007

Stephen Bosch wrote:

> My Linux servers started working the day I stopped wasting my time with
> packages, idiotic package dependency chains and hardware
> incompatibilities with binaries and learned how to install from sources.
> And no, I'm not a developer (nor am I a rocket scientist, though I do
> think rockets are cool).

One day I aspire to be in the elite category of not having to do a yum
install *bsd

> Look, this is not the local Quake III server we're talking about -- this
> is phone service. The biggest mental hurdle that IT people have to get
> over is that it is absolutely *not* okay when the phones break, for any
> reason, for any period of time. This is a whole new world of user
> expectation. The PSTN people already get what I'm talking about. (They
> get too much undeserved shit from IT people who have no concept what a
> feat it is to run a network with 99.999% uptime. Say what you will about
> my local telco; I haven't lost a dialtone on my local phone in more than
> 5 years, and before that it had been 21. Respect the experienced PSTN
> technician -- he is worthy of it.)

Funny you should mention... I have a current client... Here are the specs:

xxx-2:~# uptime
 14:53:35 up 194 days,  1:40,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

S'been up since the install. Not a problem since. Do I expect one? Not
really but if it happens it happens...

I've seen dialtones go down and I've seen load coils replaced and this
was when I lived in New York City. So you must have it pretty good. As
for respecting the local PSTN tech... Sure he may be worthy of it,
albeit he is slowly going the way of the dinosaur as you surely know
most telcos have been implementing or already have a huge infrastructure
already in place.

> I'm sorry -- for Asterisk, I have to disagree with you categorically.
> The depth of support available for someone who has installed from
> original sources is deeper and the installation is guaranteed to be
> current. Updating a source install is also trivial; and if somebody
> needs help doing that, I'm happy to provide some advice in that
> department (I've updated Asterisk on a production machine twice in the
> last month, and it took less than 10 minutes both times -- the same
> can't be said for my X, KDE or Mozilla installations).

Damn kde, damn X, and damn Mozilla... S'what terminals are for. Which by
the way puzzled me... One day, rather one and two thirds a day it took
me just that one and two thirds a day to build X. I shook my head in
disgust remembering the good old days of crawling speeds to get the
latest 1.xx kernels in Linux and compile the damn thing... Back then it
was ever so much easier. One word for Linux distros nowadays (call me a
zealot)... It turned into bloatware the last 5 years. How the hell can
D(umb)ebian justify not one, not two but three DVD's.

K. Ranting over back to the slave labors of SIP destruction....

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
echo infiltrated.net|sed 's/^/sil@/g'

"Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something." -- Plato