[asterisk-users] Asterisk & Pix firewalls

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 06:45:19 MST 2007

> >> Is it possible to reduce the number of ports to be opened if there is
> >> moderate traffic?
> >
> > YEs, you could set rtpstart and rtpend in rtp.conf to whatever. I Have
> >
> > rtpstart 10000
> > rtpend 10100
> >
> > This is about enough for 25 concurrent conversations....
> >
> Nice.  Thanks.

Another way to reduce the number of ports is just to not allow SIP
outside your firewall.  That may not be possible in all situations,
but if you only use IAX on the outside, you'll only have to open UDP
4569.  And, if you're dealing with static addresses, you can limit the
traffic to a small number of IPs.

- Noah