[asterisk-users] Voicemail on Different Server

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Apr 25 05:38:13 MST 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Forrest Beck wrote:

> I've heard there are problems using NFS as a storage device.....???

I've used NFS for many many years on 100s, maybe 1000s of servers in this
time. It's great. "Just works" and does exactly what it says on the tin. I
use it at home, for my clients, on my hosted servers, everywhere. (well,
almost!)

BUT... If the NFS server should go offline for whatever reason then the
client systems that are reading/writing the data will stall, and depending
on how you've got them setup they will stall hard and not continue until
the server returns.

I haven't tried it with asterisk yet, so I do not know what will happen to
the voicemail system should the NFS server go offline for whatever reason.

Gordon