[asterisk-users] Asterisk on Debian Etch

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Mon Apr 23 17:36:25 MST 2007

Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> you need to use "apt-get install asterisk".
>
> If you MUST HAVE 1.217 or your cats die, there are repositories available. For
> example, read this: http://www.buildserver.net/
>
> If you still MUST build asterisk yourself, I wish you good luck.

This kind of commentary isn't at all helpful. One, source installations
are preferable if there isn't some specific reason not to use them, and
two, not using the most current Asterisk on a fresh install is
irresponsible. I cannot recommend getting an "unstable" package from
some repository.

He is better off installing from sources, and more likely to get
something that performs as it should.

Source installs are not complicated -- even when you are using zaptel.

Josu, if you are concerned about dependencies, use apt-get to install
Asterisk first, then remove only Asterisk, Zaptel and libpri and install
from source.

This approach has worked for me countless times.

-Stephen-