[asterisk-users] Softphone that supports central provisioning?

James FitzGibbon james.fitzgibbon at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 13:04:47 MST 2007

On 4/20/07, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:

> I am not. The soft phone is not the only software on that computer that
> needs cetral configuration.
>
> How do you configure the networking on those computers? The mail
> clients? How do you deploy updates?

The fundamental problem, as I explained in my first response, is that
X-Lite/eyeBeam will not search for it's configuration in the part of a
user's "Documents and Settings" folder that is part of a roaming profile.

I allow that I may just be a complete Windows admin neophyte, but my
understanding is that the "Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings"
folder is machine-specific.  X-Lite and eyeBeam store their configurations
in this folder, and it is not copied back to the server on logout nor pulled
from the server when the user logs into a different workstation.

It was my hope that it might look in the Local Settings folder, and if the
appropriate directory was not found then continue the search in the
"Documents and Settings\username\Application Data" folder, but this does not
appear to be the case.

So, it is more accurate to say that I want a softphone that I can configure
in an automated fashion (preferably via text or XML configs) from a central
server.  Whether that is part of a Windows user profile or whether it is
pulled via TFTP/FTP/HTTP is irrelevant to this discussion.  I merely stated
it because it is what SIP desk phones tend to support and I am trying to
build something analogous with a softphone without reinventing the wheel.

--
j.