[asterisk-users] How can I improve call quality?

Brian D brian at prevision.bm
Mon Apr 23 04:46:49 MST 2007

Well g.711 (a/u) is essentially the same as PCM (raw) which is used to
traditional circuit switched voice environments.

 There are such mechanisms as "packet loss concealment", where a
"predictive" algorithm is used to determine wave forms.

But outside of this, whether you use g.711 or g.729 you should be
inspecting your QoS configuration - and using a call admission control
mechanism.  Ensure that your RTP and signaling streams are being
classified correctly and being provided with bandwidth gurantees.  You
should have the RTP stream placed in your low latency queue (LLQ) for
direct access to the tx-ring.  ONLY the RTP stream should be in the
LLQ.  The call control signaling does deserve a bandwidth guarantee, but
does not require to be in the LLQ.  You will have to sit down and
determine the business requirements by auditing internally used
applications and their bandwidth requirements, then hash out an
"internal" SLA and on which to base your QoS scheme.  Whether you have
2mb of bandwidth or 2^10, a "thirsty" TCP flow can potentially starve
out your voice.

- b