[asterisk-users] Softphone that supports central provisioning?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Apr 20 18:51:25 MST 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 09:21:54PM -0400, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> Tzafrir,
>
> I don't know if you do many large deployments, but this would be a godsend!
> We did an install for a large law firm with all lawyers wanting softphones
> (eyebeam) on their laptops.  Centrally pushing out the install executable
> was easy, setting up the parameters for each user was time consuming (i.e.
> expensive).  With hard phones, we setup a TFTP server for each phone to pull
> config on bootup.  We've even built a couple of tools to build config files
> (text ini files) dynamically from a database.  This has shaved up to 8 hours
> off a large install.
>
> I think you're confusing installation with configuration.  Without ascii
> config files (or a tool from the mfg to create binary config files from a
> script), each soft device must manually configured.

Can you name a decent Linux soft phone worth its salt for which you
cannot generate such a provisioning system in 1 hour? It would
probably be custom and site-specific. The generic provisioning systems
used for soft phones require way too much trust on the provisioning
server and are lacking on the security side.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com