[asterisk-users] Problem with TDM2400 and Polycom 501... Voice Quality Lost...

Arturo Ochoa aochoa at e-electrosystems.com
Fri Apr 20 14:48:32 MST 2007

Noah Miller wrote:
>> > I have an asterisk box with one TDM2400, it has 8 FXS's and 12 FXO's,
>> > and it also has the echo canceller...
>> > I'm running Asterisk 1.2.13 and Zaptel 1.2.12 with the Kernel
>> > 2.6.9-34.0.2.EL
>> > I'm using Polycom's  501 with the SIP 1.6.2.0041
>> >
>> > The problem is when someone dials to or from the PSTN through the
>> > TDM2400, the voice quality is crappy...Instead of hearing:
>> >
>> > Hello, this is John
>> >
>> > You hear..
>> >
>> > He  o, th  s   J hn
>> >
>> > I already tried with the fxotune utility, also using G711 or G729,
>> > dealing with the gains... but I can't see the light...
>>
>> This is a bug in the 9.00-002 HPEC echo canceller.
>>
>> I have no idea when a patch will be available.
>
> I don't think this is the HPEC issue.  I don't think Zaptel 1.2.12
> supported HPEC.  This must be the hardware echo can on the TDM2400.
>
> Arturo, can you post your zapata.conf and sip.conf?
>
> Also, I don't think this is your problem, but you may want to consider
> upgrading to Asterisk 1.2.17 and Zaptel 1.2.16.  There have been many
> bug and security fixes since Asterisk 1.2.13.
>

> - Noah

While trying to fix the problem, yesterday I spoke to Digium, they
logged to the computer and they upgraded Zaptel to 1.2.16 with the HPEC
support.
They enabled the MARK2 software echo cancellation by default. Then we
made a few tests but nothing changed.
Then I enabled the aggressive mode of this echo canceller, then I ran
the fxotune -i, and last I ran the fxotune -s to load the parameters...

With this changes, the voice quality seems to be better, at least you
can hear almost all the words, but still have low quality...

This is the zapata.conf

[channels]

language=en
context=from-zaptel
signalling=fxs_ks
;rxwink=300             ; Atlas seems to use long (250ms) winks
;
; Whether or not to do distinctive ring detection on FXO lines
;
;usedistinctiveringdetection=yes

usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no