[asterisk-users] Softphone that supports central provisioning?

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 10:26:57 MST 2007

On 4/20/07, James FitzGibbon <james.fitzgibbon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/20/07, Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com> wrote:
>

> > Are you sure eyeBeam config are binary ?
> > I thought it was just the case for XLite.
>
> Having looked into it further, you're right.  For some inexplicable reason
> it's not putting the files where the manual says they should be - instead of
> a directory called "eyeBeam n.n" they're in a folder called 'RegNow Basic',
> but the .CPS files there are indeed in XML rather than binary format.  When
> I last looked, I suspect I assumed that eyeBeam stored it's configs in the
> X-Lite directory and was thus looking at the configs for the free version
> that were no longer being accessed.

I went around this loop with CounterPath a couple of months back. It
seems that their idea of provisioning revolves around customising the
software before selling it, so that it is locking the end-user into
using "your" (the seller's) SIP server.

They had trouble understanding that the user just paid money for this
software, which they want to be provisioned by a server on their own
network, and they do not support this. I gave up at this stage, but
perhaps if more people apply pressure, it will become possible to
extend their current (quite useable) provisioning interface, but have
a user-configurable setting to determine where the configuration is
fetched from. At present the configuration server setting is fixed at
compile-time by CounterPath.

Regards,
Steve