[asterisk-users] Monitor application inestability and high load

Edgar A. Luna Diaz ealuna at unificateleservices.com
Wed Apr 18 15:02:20 MST 2007

Hi,

I'm having high load, choppy sound and slow responsives with an asterisk server (version 1.2.12.1) that make a peak of 90 channels (around 60 phones calling at max, isn't necessary to reach this peak to get the problem). All the traffic is SIP, with recording for every call. The server has:

Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz (with HyperThreading disabled for inestability)
4G RAM
2 DD SCSI 150GB in RAID I via hardware.

The problems are detected in the high count of asterisk processes and sh wrappers to soxmix which could be as old as 1 hour in the server without a reason to stay idle, but for some unknow reason this "sh" don't die fast. This is when the dialplan calls Monitor obviously. I already tried to switch to MixMonitor but yesterday users reported that in some calls the recording isn't complete. Which is similar to a bug that is mentioned in mantis but for versions prior to 1.2.7. The asterisk logs don't show any particular message in verbose level 3. Apart from the recording, I have a high use of Manager and the mysql is used for some bussines logic but I think that nothing to high load, indeed mysql never is the most important part in processor, memmory and disk access statistics.

In http://linuxuanl.org/eald/random/ps.txt there is an example (no very espectacular but is more or less what happens) of the status of the computer with problems. I see that there are many sh without their soxmix or rm; Usually this is done faster indeed I changed soxmix to a script that only copy the files in an attempt to low the load of the server.

Any knows a solution to this problem? or has an explanation for it?

Thanks,
Edgar Luna