[asterisk-users] Re: New T1 Asterisk installation

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Apr 16 17:54:44 MST 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Steve Totaro said something to this effect:

> Check into "Flex T1s" or whatever the provider calls it.  It dynamically
> changes channels from data to TDM as needed, you can always use more
> bandwidth (at least I can).

   That's one approach.  I think Adtran is best known for making the gear
that enables this, but I could be wrong.

   It's increasingly common to just offer a data T1 and run VoIP channels
over it.  They somewhat mimick this behaviour because some sort of
bandwidth reservation / heavy QoS scheme is run alongside them, with the
effect that a VoIP call will essentially subtract from available Internet
bandwidth in a way vaguely reminscent of circuit-oriented dynamic bandwidth
allocation as above.

--
Alex Balashov <sasha at presidium.org>