[asterisk-users] Re: New T1 Asterisk installation

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Apr 16 12:26:05 MST 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Stephen Bosch said something to this effect:

> There are some parts of the world where you can't get partial PRI
> anymore, and there's an ugly unserved gap in between analog lines and a
> full PRI :(

   Even where you can get a fractional PRI, there's not really a lot of
incentive for the LEC to substantially discount the circuit because the
underlying physical layer, loop, etc. is still running at a T1 rate.  The
fact that you can turn off some of the channels doesn't inherently decrease
their costs unless there's a huge correlate in decreased usage.

> $650 minimum for a full PRI around here. You need 17 lines before that
> makes financial sense.

   Who quoted you this?  Where are you?  This sounds like the extortion that
BellSouth pulls down here.  Do not order PRIs from the ILEC.  They blow.
If you contact me off-list I might be able to help you find some cheaper
options.  It is generally reasonable to expect to find a PRI for about half
that price.  The best way is to get someone who buys a lot of transport
from a carrier to resell it to you because their costs on it are many times
lower due to the fact that they buy in large volumes.  For example, many
dialup wholesalers with their own facilities order entire DS3s worth of the
stuff, in which case they may be able to cut you a much better deal.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov <sasha at presidium.org>