[asterisk-users] Call Recording Servers

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Mon Apr 16 09:28:04 MST 2007

Tom Lynn wrote:
> You could also look at Oreka at sourceforge.
Tom,

We are moving in that direction, but we don't have it in production
yet.  Since it is a packet sniffing solution, the limiting factor
becomes the point at which the kernel starts to drop an unacceptable
number of packets.  A PF_RING <www.ntop.org/PF_RING.html> enabled
version of libpcap can help to raise this point.  There's some pretty
sophisticated buffering going on, but it's still a good idea to dedicate
a fast disk (or RAID) to writing the recordings.

Keep in mind that Oreka aims to do one thing, while Asterisk is a sort
of VOIP Swiss Army knife.  If all you want to do is record calls, Oreka
is a good candidate.  On the other hand, Asterisk will give you call
recording along with a plethora of other features.

Oreka's main developer is extremely skilled, helpful, and responsive.
As far as dimensioning Oreka, here is a quote from him:

"What I can say is that we do have a customer recording 200 concurrent
conversations without drops under Linux FC4 with the following server
(Desktop hardware actually):
Dell Dimension 9200
IntelR  CoreTM 2 Duo Processor E6300 (2MB L2 Cache,1.86GHz,1066)
1 Gig of RAM Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (533MHz)
1 x 80 Gig SATA II drive
1 x 300 Gig SATA I drive

And this is without PF_RING or anything else, so I would be surprised if we
could not push this further."

Good day,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions