[asterisk-users] Polycom 501 sluggish keys: found the problem!

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Sun Apr 15 18:27:37 MST 2007

Mike wrote:
> Here is what I had to change on the phone1.cfg file:

Which means we caught you red-handed! Remember when I asked you about
whether you were using the default configs from the new firmware package?

> I had this value in my 1.6.7 file, put in there following suggestions
> from the Wiki
> (http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Polycom+Soundpoint+IP+501) :
> *reg.1.server.1.expires="30"*

That tells me right there that you didn't use the default sip.cfg and
phone1.cfg files.

> Now, this worked flawlessly with 1.6.7.  But with 2.x, this seizes up
> the phone with a huge CPU load (approaching 100% at times) and makes it
> unresponsive.  I had to remove it, fixing the problem.

I have learned the hard way that using old configs with new firmware is
asking for trouble. It is much better to keep your custom configurations
in a MAC specific overrides file and replace the sip.cfg and phone1.cfg
files completely.

This doesn't guarantee that you won't have problems, but it's a lot
easier to troubleshoot an overrides file with a dozen items in it than
to sift through big, customized sip.cfg files.

> Now, I have two follow-up questions:
> 1) Is that normal? (my guess is no)

Well, you shouldn't need to re-register every 30 seconds, either. What
was the reason for configuring your phones like that?

-Stephen-