[asterisk-users] Fax Blast over IP?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Apr 13 07:51:56 MST 2007

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Matt said something to this effect:

> Fax over G711u works.. but it's touchy... when our customers ask us if we
> support it we say yes and no.. and then explain that they can use it..
> and fax away all they want, but if they have issues we don't support it.
> I've personally dialed-up to our modem bank from home using G711u....nice
> solid connection too!  However, if your connection gets any jitter... bye
> bye dial-up/fax.

   Yes!  This is exactly my experience with it working for a telephony
service provider that provides wholesale VoIP platform and CPE for
customers and works primarily over the Internet at large, rather than
dedicated links.  It kind of works, except when it doesn't.

   But on a LAN environment, in general I think it is quite usable for
analog call transport as long as the core is gigabit and there's some
rudimentary QoS.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov <sasha at presidium.org>