[asterisk-users] RE: Which SIP phones to buy?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Apr 12 14:51:18 MST 2007

Ken,

You have certainly had experience with a broader range of phones, so I have
no doubt you can lend more insight on this count.

But for what it's worth, my experience is largely confined to the Cisco
7960s.  I've never had any trouble getting any SIP firmware image to
register with Asterisk, nor configuring them by hand against Asterisk
in network situations that don't lend themselves to autoprovisioning
setups.  And I've never had any issues with features like MWI or various
other notifications.

About the only thing I've run into is that some of the older default
dialplan.xml's tend to be hostile to numbers that start with 8xx, such as
(but not exclusively) toll-free numbers.  TFTP provisioning is, of course,
the best way to blank those.

Other than that, I've got no complaints.  Awesome speakerphone, nice
configuration interface, conferencing features, etc.  And while they
are obviously Call Manager-centric, I wouldn't go so far as to say
that Cisco provides no documentation on how to get them to work
otherwise;  I've needed -- and found -- it.

Thanks,

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov <sasha at presidium.org>