[asterisk-users] Re: Play audio and continue to next priority before audio ends...

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Thu Apr 12 06:48:10 MST 2007

In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.0704111328060.18529 at lion.drogon.net>,
Gordon Henderson <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Tony Mountifield wrote:
>
> > Alejandro Mejía <noc at carmeltelecom.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I would like to know how to playback an audio file to the caller, and while
> >> it's played asterisk to continue executing the next priorities on
> >> extensions.conf
> >> That's not the case when using "playback" command, because the next priority
> >> is executed until the audio file ends playing. I want to evaluate some
> >> variables while caller hears the audio file.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >
> > Look at the Background() application. It does just what you are asking for.
> >
> > I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned this.
>
> Are you sure it does that?

Hmmm, I thought I was, but it looks like I was mistaken...

I was probably misled by the name Background(), which is perhaps not an
accurate description of its function then.

> I'm under the impression that it waits until the sound(s) have finished
> playing before moving on to the next priority. (While "listening" for
> digits to be pushed, then be dialled)

So the only difference between Playback() and Background() is that the
latter will accept incoming digits (and use them to divert the dialplan)
and the former won't.

Cheers
Tony
--