[asterisk-users] Learn some terminalogy before mounting this task.

James R. Stevens jstevens at athensdistributing.com
Tue Apr 10 21:13:07 MST 2007

Alex,
First may I offer thanks for your comment and reply. Most I understood and all I appreciate.
To clarify the existence of the Channel bank at our current premise:
In past years the Data and Voice WAS on the same T1. The 24 channels were used(The T1 was full) and the channel bank separated (At that time marketed as->) DPL (Digital Private Line) circuits to our two branch offices.
That has long been changed. We now have a separate/new T1 for data and the original T1/channel bank which is in fact only for voice. When I talk with our CLEC (USLEC) I should now expect them to tell me there are only 7 channels provisioned on the Voice T1. (If I understand your comments)

----

Also,
Sounds as though I should compare pricing to a PRI ISDN circuit and inquire about our current Voice T1's signaling (I wonder if this is in reference to CLOCKING of a TDM circuit?)
We will need a few Analog lines for various IT Dpt. issues therefore a Zapata T1 card for the Asterisk server is out. Also, an earlier reference to 'A port' comes for my reading about the TDM400 cards. That material states the card has 4 'ports' configurable to FXO or FXS type 'ports'. If I understand your comments, 1 Channel of a T1 OR PRI equals 1 port on an TDM400 card or OpenSwitch12 for that matter.

Lastly, I have seen recommendations to only install ONE card within an Asterisk server for stability and performance reasons. Are we past that need with todays current baseline server products?

Again, Thank you and anyone who replies to this dialog. It is very appreciated in helping raise confidence with this project.