[asterisk-users] Asterisk without PSTN interface cards

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Apr 10 14:04:24 MST 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 03:10:32PM -0300, Alejandro Cabrera Obed wrote:

> Dear people, thanks for your help...I appreciatte it a lot. But one more
> question please:
> I have a Debian host base with vserver support (virtual machines, I use
> them for running squid, postfix and a lot of services without problems)
> I?ve just installed Asterisk in a new vserver from Debian Etch
> repositories and I get this error:
>
> Setting up zaptel (1.2.11.dfsg-1) ...
> mknod: `/dev/zap/ctl': Operation not permitted
> dpkg: error processing zaptel (--configure):
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Right. http://bugs.debian.org/411850

Workaround: edit /var/lib/dpkg/info/zaptel.postinst to remove the mknod
calls and run 'apt-get install -f'

You'll have to find a way to generate the zaptel device files. Maybe ask
the vserver host maintainer. The device files you need:

/dev/zap/ctl
/dev/zap/pseudo

Is /dev/zap/channel also needed?

> After that I see the content of /dev/zap and there is nothing at all.
>
> Any idea ??? Can I continue without this device if I use only softphones ???

Yes, but you won't have zaptel timing (e.g: no meetme)

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com