[asterisk-users] Reverse-ATA : Using PSTN lines to connect to Asterisk

Mike list at virtutel.ca
Tue Apr 10 06:57:50 MST 2007

Hi,

I'm looking for a few pointers on using ATA to connect Asterisk to the PSTN.
Basically, I'm running a Hosted PBX service, and in urban centers I can
usually get SIP or PRIs.  Since I sell my customers SIP hardphones, the data
flow is like this:

Customer's SIP Hardphone ---- My own Asterisk ----- Outside lines

But when it comes to smaller villages (I deal with people in tiny places),
I'd like to reuse their own PSTN line this way:

Customer's SIP hardphone ---- My own Asterisk ------ Some device on the
customer's premise ---- customer's PSTN lines

I know ATAs are mostly used in a scenario where you reuse traditional phones
to connect to SIP servers, but can they accomodate my scenario? And if so,
what line of ATA should I be looking at?

Mike