[asterisk-users] How well does a celldock work with Asterisk?

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Mon Apr 9 06:32:29 MST 2007

Joe Acquisto wrote:
> Steve Prior <sprior at geekster.com> Wrote: 4/6/2007 8:30 PM:
>> Steve Prior wrote:
>>> I've seen in the wiki that it is possible to use a celldock device to
>>> use a cell phone as a PSTN line to Asterisk, but I haven't seen any
>>> comments as to how well this actually works.  I was thinking about
>>> hooking a celldock to a FXO input of my Digium TDM400P card and use it
>>> to connect via bluetooth to my RAZR V3C.  I am aware of the software
>>> solution (chan_bluetooth), but my Asterisk box is a bit far away from
>>> where I want to keep the phone so the celldock seems to be the more
>>> convenient solution for me.
>>>
>>> Any comments about the sound quality or issues in making it work?
>> I just found out that the celldock I'm talking about is also called the
>> Dock-N-Talk.
>>
>> I look forward to hearing about experiences in using it with Asterisk.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> My curiosity is aroused, as well.   I would want to use these to allow me to eliminate my POTS lines entirely, and go to cell service.   This, due to the poor quality (and comparatively high cost) of Verizon service in this area.    Seems I would still need at least one POTS line, for FAX machine.  Can't use IAX in any form due to highly asymetrical link at this location.
>
> joe a

I have a Dock-n-Talk at home I use to connect my motorola V60i via a
cable so I can't comment on bluetooth. I needed it because for some
reason I can only get good cell reception in my bedroom. It works well
enough. You can certainly tell you are talking over a cell connection
and not a POTS line (it's a little noisier) and now and then I have
slight echo. Caller ID is passed through (number only) as well.
All in all I'm happy with the purchase.

-Dave