[asterisk-users] intermittent choppy sound over wifi link

Curt Shaffer cshaffer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 19:42:56 MST 2007

I am experiencing a situation where I am getting intermittent choppy audio.
Here is the network layout:

Termination provider -> IAX2 over the Internet -> 20Mb fiber connection ->
router -> Asterisk

My ATA connection goes into the router between the fiber and the Asterisk
server on another interface here is the layout from me to Asterisk:

Sipura ATA (SPA1001 running 3.1.19(SE) firmware), also tested with X-lite
softest -> PIX 506 (although I have tried multiple routers and direct
connection to the radio try to fix the problem) -> 1 mile 802.11b link to AP
-> 15 mile 802.11b link Backhaul -> router -> Asterisk

My Asterisk version is Asterisk 1.2.12.1, Zaptel 1.2.9.1. Ping times are
~10ms, jitter is under 10 with an average of 5. QoS is enabled in the router
for SIP, RTP and IAX2 traffic going to and from the Asterisk box.

When I experience the choppiness the ATA reports packet loss on the web
interface (Call 1 Packets Lost: ). I can run something such as ping plotter
from the same leg of the network that the Asterisk box is on while this is
happening and there is not even a small glitch of lost packets on the
network but the ATA displays otherwise. The only thing I have come up with
thus far is possible retransmissions on the wireless connection (and due to
the type of gear, I'm not able to see this data). We are way out in the
country with no other real providers even close so I'm doubting interference
although I suppose it is a possibility keeping an open mind. My question is
can anyone point me to any possible reasons this would be happening? Also
can anyone tell me other reasons other than real lost packets that the ATA
would show this? My only guess on that was packets that never got an ACK due
to server congestion or some other reason other than actual loss.

Any insight appreciated!

Thanks

Curt