[asterisk-users] Verizon Vonage 101

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Sat Apr 7 08:47:35 MST 2007

I've dug down as far as I could on www.uspto.gov for
anything remotely close to what is going on with
Verizon and all searches end with only two
possibilities in regards to what is going on.

So unless the patent was issued to someone else and
Verizon bought it, these are the only two possible
patents this case could be based on...

US 7,142,646 B2
Voice mail integration with instant messenger

US 7,054,308 B1
Method and apparatus for estimating the call grade
of service and offered traffic for voice over
internet protocol calls at a PSTN-IP network gateway

According to Google:

They've listed 118 patents assigned to Verizon
Results 1 - 10 of about 118 from uspto.gov for +"assigned to" +verizon

One dealing with PSTN
Results 1 - 1 of 1 from uspto.gov for +"assigned to" +verizon +pstn

Two matches dealing with VoIP but only one is a
patent. And that is related to the above search
Results 1 - 2 of 2 from uspto.gov for +"assigned to" +verizon voip

Three matches dealing with Voice and IP but only
one is a patent. And that too is related to the
above search
Results 1 - 3 of 3 from uspto.gov for +"assigned to" +verizon "voice" IP

Nine matches dealing with telephone and IP but
only one is a patent. And that too is related
to the above search
Results 1 - 9 of 9 from uspto.gov for +"assigned to" +verizon "telephone" IP.

One patent related to voicemail
Results 1 - 1 of 1 from uspto.gov for +"assigned to" +verizon voicemail

My thoughts, the voicemail one is broad, and
could be circumvented easily. If I were a juror,
I would laugh but an infringment is an infringement
is an infringement. I would make Vonage stop using
the technology.

The VoIP patent however is a bit more detailed,
and although it can be construed as broad, that
too would make me side with Verizon, but not to
the degree of shutting down Vonage.

On the flip side of things, Vonage is no stranger
to infringing on patents.

Of course, turnabout is fair play, and Klausner
Technologies Inc. filed suit against Vonage for
infringing its patent number 5,572,576, which
concerns the retrieval of VoIP voicemail on a
cell phone or handheld device.
http://www.cedmagazine.com/article/CA6351074.html

--
J. Oquendo

"How a man plays the game shows something of his
character - how he loses shows all" - Mr. Luckey