[asterisk-users] Verizon-Vonage Lawsuit

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Fri Apr 6 17:16:11 MST 2007

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007, Paul wrote:

> I just think an order against taking on new customers is going too far.
> It is like Verizon is saying they will never grant Vonage a license at a
> reasonable enough price to remain in business. Besides, I saw some news
> that Vonage is exploring arrangements with other companies so they can
> operate without infringing if they lose all appeals.

Luckily personal feelings don't come into play when it comes to law. Or
at least that is how it should technically be. If you paid attention to
the news, you would know a judge threw Vonage a bone.

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/business/news/article_1288197.php/Vonage_wins_stay_on_new-customer_ban

Can you blame Verizon, let's play devil's advocate here...

Your Verizon. You have patents. You or your employees took the time
to create something. Others pay you for this. One doesn't. This one
that doesn't sits around and annoys you. At any given time you have
the right to show your cards. You're unpopular... At the opportune
moment, you show your cards. You win. Should you be hated.

Vonage has done little to impress me, their entire marketing is
and always was flawed. Spending about $100+ in marketing per
customer? Horrible. Packet8? Same thing. I've dealt with Packet8
all the way up to the most senior:

Bryan Martin, Dan Weirich, Kevin Reid, Walter Manbeck, Wallace
Buffington, you name him/her on the senior team, I'm sure my
name would give them a headache. I wish them and any company
the best, I wish progress for them as I would want them to wish
for me, but it doesn't take away from the fact that if they're
horrible, they're horrible.

Vonage, they've done little to make me even say "Oh darn". To
the contrary, they've made me sadly choose to side with the
devil (Verizon) on this one.

--
J. Oquendo

"How a man plays the game shows something of his
character - how he loses shows all" - Mr. Luckey