[asterisk-users] Red alarms

Wayne Jensen wayne at srmarketresearch.com
Thu Apr 5 00:26:01 MST 2007

On 2/8/07, Wayne Jensen <wayne at srmarketresearch.com> wrote:
> On 2/8/07, Don Pobanz <dpobanz at hastingsutilities.com> wrote:
> > > Asterisk is getting red alarms on my T1, sometimes once or twice a
> > > day, but today it happened 5 times.  Even once is too many.  Every
> > > call in progress is dropped.
> >
> > Red alarm means that the hardware is not seeing the T1 signal coming in.
> > This most likely is a cable or wiring or perhaps a hardware problem.
> >

> I know that it's not wiring because it's never happened before in the
> year and a half that we've been using it, and if I disconnect the
> asterisk box and use it the same way we've been using it, the problem
> goes away.  same cabling, just unplugging the cable from the channel
> bank and plugging it into the Digium card.
>
> does this mean that the Digium card is bad?  or is there something in
> the configuration that could make it not see the T1 signal coming in?
> I don't see how it would be, but is it possible that a bad cable
> between the Digium card and the channel bank (channels 49-72 on the
> card) could cause a red alarm on channels 1-24?
>
> I've used the same Digium card in two different boxes and got the same
> red alarms, so I doubt it's a problem with the computer it's in.
>
> The red alarms only happen when there's a high volume of calls going
> through, but it doesn't *always* happen when there's a high volume.

Plugging another T1 into the card seems to have cured it... strange.
When I was getting all the red alarms, I had one cable coming into the
card (channels 1-24) and two cables going out (channels 49-96),
leaving one slot (channels 25-48) empty.  Once I plugged another T1
into that slot, the red alarms pretty much went away.

Why would that happen?