[asterisk-users] Quad BRI cards

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 02:25:06 MST 2007

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about Quad-BRI solutions for Asterisk,
and was hoping that I might get some feedback based on other people's
experience.

We currently use the Junghanns card, which is a pure Zaptel solution,
which is fantastic, but they have no hardware EC solution, and their
drivers are becoming increasingly un-stable with time (I back-port to
a modified qozap driver from 0.2.0-RC8n which is the last one I can
run without bad behaviour)

I am aware of the Beronet BN4S0, which appears to be "exactly" the
same card as the Junghanns card, but with mISDN drivers, still no h/w
EC solution, and as a result, less effective (from what I read here)
software echo cancellation.

I thought I had struck gold when I saw the Digium B410P, which had a
driver that builds as part of Zaptel, but then when I read on the list
people describe it as an mISDN based card... Which is it?

I prefer a ZAP based driver because I use that for the Sangoma and
Single-BRI solutions that we build. I assume that if I switch to
mISDN, I will need to install all of the Linux ISDN support, change my
dialplan to use CAPI/ as a technology, use new and unfamiliar config
files, and all sorts of other horribleness, probably losing one or two
ZAP/ specific features such as the ZapEC() command in the process?

Perhaps there is an alternative solution that I have missed entirely
out there? The Single BRI (HFC) card has the "vzaphfc" alternative
driver available, has anyone done the same for the Quad (HFC4S) card?

Thanks for any pointers that can be provided.

Kind regards,
Steve