[asterisk-users] Re: On Topic: Cheapest Asterisk USB Key?

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Mon Apr 2 22:55:50 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 22:12 -0400, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:

> 	What it means is that Flash memory cells wear out after a large number
> of read/write cycles, but not nearly as large as hard drives:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_rom#Limitations . So using Flash in
> place of RAM, even when high speed isn't important, can wear out the
> Flash - it will probably wear out even before HDs, which live less long
> than does RAM. Until the Flash wears out, it is extremely reliable, and
> techniques for ensuring it doesn't destroy data as it wears out are
> built into the Flash HW (though it will eventually wear out take data
> with it).
>
> 	But I'm not talking about using the Flash as RAM, just using it for a
> low-load persistent store like a HD, where a HD would be overkill in
> every way.

I thought flash waers out on writing, not reading...
So, keep /tmp,/var/log and its friends on ram-disk, or pass the logging
you don't want to loose via a remote syslog, a remote mysql-server (or
via nfs-mount).
(For running servers I keep /usr and /opt mounted as read-only, to avoid
accidental writing)

--
pgp-id: 926EBB12
pgp-fingerprint: BE97 1CBF FAC4 236C 4A73  F76E EDFC D032 926E BB12