[asterisk-users] RE: On Topic: Cheapest Asterisk USB Key?

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 12:32:40 MST 2007

On 4/1/07, Matthew Rubenstein <email at mattruby.com> wrote:
>         I need a USB microprocessor *device* on which the Linux and Asterisk
> will run (even if very slowly), not just a storage drive from which to
> run it on the PC. MonteVista is a good distro, though there are other
> "minimal" embedded distros, of which I've already got one selected. The
> CDR usage of a single user's PC is just fine in performance and total
> lifetime read/writes (usually upwards of 100K) for the CDR data that
> needs to persist, as opposed to the device's RAM for executing the
> Asterisk. I'm looking for a device under $100 or $50 in OEM quantity,
> which is where just microdrives start. I want to run Asterisk itself,
> even if stripped down, for easy sync and single platform maintenance
> across all the Asterisk instances I've got, as well as guaranteed
> compatibility between data/network formats/protocols.

Matt,

  Sounds like an "interesting" application.  Have you looked at
something like the Gumstix netstix:

http://www.gumstix.com/waysmalls.html

  I believe that they have a USB powered version available - that
should be pretty close to what you are looking for.

  As far as the distro to run, there is the standard Gumstix buildroot
(which includes a functional version of Asterisk), or AstLinux, which
can be compiled to run on the Gumstix.

  Full disclosure - I maintain AstLinux.

--
Kristian Kielhofner