[asterisk-users] Weird extension behavior

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 07:35:36 MST 2007

On 4/1/07, Mark Hennessy <asterisk-users at evilbrain.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm using Asterisk with two Cisco 7960 phones using SIP.
> I'm seeing the following weird behavior:
> SIP Phome 1 is extension 4002
> SIP Phone 2 is extension 4003

So, did you name your SIP user/peers 4002 and 4003? It doesn't matter, but
the word "extension" really means more about what you see in extensions.conf.
You can check this by looking either at the phone's configs or in sip.conf,
or better still, both to make sure they match.

I call 4002 from 4003 and that works fine.
> I call 4003 from 4002, and it rings locally to 4002, never gets to 4003.

This sounds like a problem with the extension.conf file. Without the
relevant portions of it, though, there's little we can do to help
troubleshoot.

I'm able to send a config query packet to 4003 from the asterisk
> console and get a response, when I send one to 4002 there is no respone.
>
> I know that both phones pull down their config via TFTP properly, I
> look in the network settings and see that 4002 has been given an IP of
> x.y.z.201 and 4003 has been given an IP of x.y.z.202 and the asterisk
> box is running on x.y.z.74.

The next step would be to run "sip show peers" and "sip show users" at the
Asterisk CLI to see how/if the phones registered with the expected IPs.