On Topic: Cheapest Asterisk USB Key? (was: Re: [asterisk-users] Off Topic: Open Source USB Softphone)

Salvatore Giudice Salvatore.Giudice at VoIPSecurityTraining.com
Sun Apr 1 10:08:05 MST 2007

Try installing Monte Vista http://www.mvista.com/ on the usb stick. It will
be a lot cleaner than taking a standard server distribution of linux and
stripping out all the unwanted kernel modules.

Monte Vista is an embedded linux that should be able to boot your server off
a 128mb usb stick with Asterisk installed. You should probably strip
asterisk down to the bare essentials for your project as well.

You should be aware that flash memory is generally not the best medium to
store data when you have a high number of read/writes. Flash memory will
fail much more quickly under these conditions. You might want to consider
using a usb microdrive instead of a flash stick. Pick a microdrive that
generates as little heat as possible.

BTW, what exactly is the motivation for running linux off of a usb stick? If
you would like cdr's, you could likely do so with ngrep and a perl script.

Good luck, SG

Salvatore Giudice
Salvatore.Giudice at VoIPSecurityTraining.com

VoIP Security Training, LLC
http://VoIPSecurityTraining.com

848 N. Rainbow Blvd. #1676
Las Vegas, NV 89107