[asterisk-users] Extension Numbering

Lacy Moore - Aspendora aspendora at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 17:02:45 MST 2006

I'm not too sure on that.  I don't really know, unless maybe for an IVR and
you want a menu of options (which can only be 1 digit) and also dial direct
to the extension.  That would limit you in that regard.

I have a suggestion regarding dial plan.  When I first started I saw no
reason to have to dial 9 first for outside calls.  Because I wanted to be
able to dial out from the missed calls list, I chose to eliminate the dial 9
requirement.  I'm now regretting it, primarily because 711 is a valid
number, but also a parking spot.  I can handle 911, and I can handle 411,
but 711 is going to be a pain.

Just wanted to give you something to consider when you are starting out.
Something I didn't consider.

On 9/29/06, Norbert Zawodsky <norbert at zawodsky.at> wrote:

> And Hi again,
>
> I wrote:
> > I think I can remember something from the "Asterisk-TFOT" book saying
> > that one must not use 1-digit extension numbers. But I can't remember
> > that very well and can't find it in the book any more....
> >
> I found it! On page 90 the book says:
>
> <quote>
> ... (Well, almost. Extensions must be shorter than 80 characters long,
> and you shouldn't use single-character extensions for your own
> use, as they're reserved.) ...
> </quote>
>
> O.k. - This answers my first question ("if there is disadvantage if we
> use only 1 digit extensions").
> But what for are single-character extensions "reserved" ?
>
> Thanks,
> Norbert

Lacy Moore
I'm the guy that doesn't give a damn about anyone's problems but my own...