[asterisk-users] problem with trying to use two extensions for different announcements

J. Duffy Beischel duffy at beischel.net
Wed Sep 27 17:34:09 MST 2006

Hello Folks,

First post.  I am using a Trixbox 1.1.1 version and have been working
with it for a few weeks, experimenting and trying to learn. I have
decided to set-up the box as a phone system for a community
organization/club in our area.  I have tried to use FreePBX to make all
the changes to Asterisk.  I know that you die-hard linux guys like to do
it all from a command line, but I am really a Windows person, trying to
learn Linux, but who like graphical interfaces ;-)

Anyway I have set up several extensions - one (ext 10) for an
announcement for the club's next meeting (plays a recorded message), an
extension (ext 11) for the club president (which goes to voicemail and
then gets emailed to the president), an extension (12) for the head
committee chair (which goes to voicemail and gets emailed to her), an
extension (ext 13) that will provide basic club information to a
non-member (SUPPOSE to play a recorded announcement of club
information), an extension (ext 15) that provides current area weather,
an extension (ext 16) that provides the current time, and finally and
extension (ext 20) which goes directly to me.

To accomplish this, I have three autoattendants (digital receptionists)
set up. The main one answers the phone and plays a recorded message of
the extensions.  The two other autoattendants are set-up to handle the
two extensions (10 and 13) that provide two different announcements.
There are two recordings made using the System Recording function of the
FreePBX. Each recording is assigned to each of the two autoattendants.
Extension 10 works fine and announces the next club meeting then hangs
up.  However, when I dial ext 13, it does NOT play the correct recorded
.wav file - it plays the message the is associated with ext 10.

On the Trixbox forum, someone suggested this:

Create a custom script in your extensions_custom.conf under
[from-internal-custom]

exten => 121,1,Answer
exten => 121,2,Playback(/tmp/announcement)
exten => 121,3,Hangup
exten => h,1,Hangup

assuming that 121 is the extension that you want people to call. When
the extension is called your recorded announcement will be played. After
the announcement is played it will hang up.

You can also create a custom entry for calling from IVR and the IVR
choice pointing to custom apps.

[custom-announcement]
exten => 121,1,Answer
exten => 121,2,Playback(/tmp/announcement)
exten => 121,3,Hangup
exten => h,1,Hangup

So I tried the second method, and changed the directory structure to
make it look in the correct directory where FreePBX stores the recorded
.wav files. That still does not work. It still goes to the wrong .wav
file used by the other autoattendant. I even rerecorded the announcements.

It is puzzling because each extension uses its own
autoattendant/IVR/digital assistant and each has a separate .wav file
associated with it, yet ext. 13 wants to grab the other audio file.  It
must be something obvious that I am missing or maybe I am not naming
things correctly so it goes to the first available .wav file - I just
don't know.

Anybody know what I am possibly doing wrong?

Thanks,

Duffy