[asterisk-users] ISDN30 and digital phones

Mike Williams mike.williams at comodo.com
Wed Sep 27 02:56:24 MST 2006

Hi,

At our other site in the UK we currently have a rather old Nortel BCM (4000 I
think), with an ISDN30 feed and 15-16 or so digital extensions (Meridian of
some description).
The ISDN comes in as HSDSL over a twisted copper pair to a small BT box, then
ethernet to the BCM.

We'd like to do, at least, inter-office VoIP calls. However I believe making
trunks between asterisk and BCM isn't the easiest thing in the world, and my
brief exploration of the BCM configuration bears that out. Plus we don't have
any licences for VoIP.

If I were to recommend replacing the BCM with an asterisk machine, what
special hardware/cards would I need? (I so don't understand how US line
designations fit in with UK style lines)
I'm open to replacing phones if the kit to interface with digital phones costs
more than buying SIP phones, every desk already has at least 2 cat5e points.

Thanks

--
Mike Williams