[asterisk-users] Re: Dual core

Massimo Nuvoli massimo at archivio.it
Mon Sep 25 23:36:24 MST 2006

Tomislav Parčina ha scritto:
>> For what we do with Asterisk(lots of meetme and Zap -> IAX2) It
>> does spread the load across both cores. In our initial
>> comparisons for equal call traffic, the P4-D had half or the
>> average loadavg for a 6 hour time period of the P4 of the same
>> speed.
>> MATT---
> Hi Matt!
> Thank you for information's. Can you please tell me have you made
> any special adjustments or steps in Asterisk install or
> configuration to achieve this?

The "dual core" solution (even for AMD or INTEL) is a good solution
when the server that run asterisk need more cpu to do something.

There is no need to configure, you add the CPU and the kernel (if SMP)
does the rest.

Only if you want to "bound" a single CPU to a single "interrupt" you
can change the "affinity" of the CPU.

Or

If you use irqbalance this "affinity change" is done by the irqbalance
daemon.

In a real context (with asterisk) is better to NOT use irqbalance and
set affinity for each voip board/irq on the system.

Bye.