[asterisk-users] spandsp (foip)

Christopher Corn christopher_corn at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 24 13:58:21 MST 2006

I've been reading about FOIP and there something i dont undrestand. maybe someone can explain to me.

  A couple of faxing methods im confused about.

  The pass through method, sending fax data over G711 codec
  versus
  Relay method, t30 to t38 conversion

  Can someone explain to me why the pass through method doesn't require t30 to t38 conversion ( or does it do it?)? i believe the conversion to t38 is so that it can be routed through a packet network and then back to t30 so that the fax machine can understand. why is it that if you use a pass through method, and your still passing through a packet network, you dont need to convert to t38 and t30?

  hope this makes sense. thanks alot.