[asterisk-users] Leased line interconnect

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Sep 22 19:40:36 MST 2006

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 12:33:01PM +1000, Eric Bishop wrote:
>    So would both work with Asterisk as an interconnect? The configuration I
>    want is:
>    Asterisk/TE410 (Site A) <---> 30 channels in the service provider network
>    <---> Asterisk/TE410 (Site B)
>    With the 31x64kbps leased line the service provider gives the following
>    specifications:
>    Max bandwidth: 1984kbps
>    Framing: G.704
>    Line encoding: HDB3
>    Customer interface: Electrical G.703
>    With the E-1 the service provider gives the following specifications:
>    Max bandwidth: 2048kbps
>    Framing: Clear Channel
>    Line encoding: HDB3
>    Customer interface: Electrical G.703
>    The question is will either one work with Asterisk? And what are pros and
>    cons of each service for use in conjunction with each. Could I run a PRI
>    protocol over either one since I will cintrol both ends?

You could, yes, put an E-1 card on each server to terminate the voice
version of that line.  How you'd do cross-chassis transfers, I'm not
sure.

Alternatively, you could put a half-bridge on each end, and convert it
into a 2mbps Ethernet link with a fairly high latency.  Then you
wouldn't have to put a $4k E-1 card at each end, and your programming
would probably be easier. (Though on this point, I'm too new to
Asterisk to be sure.)  The half bridges are...

http://blackbox.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx?cid=381,1453,1492&mid=4918

$500-600US.

One grand vs eight?

Sounds like a deal to me.  Anyone with more experience in inter-*
trunking have comments?

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_