[asterisk-users] Setting QOS settings in asterisk and/or CentOS?

Nick Hoffman nick.hoffman at voxpak.com
Fri Sep 22 18:53:11 MST 2006

On Sat September 23 2006 06:14, Bob Amen <amen at oreilly.com> wrote:
<snip>
> which sets the TOS bit on all IAX, SIP and RTP packets. Using iptables
> means that we can set up our rules on the router without using ACLs. Our
> Cisco Cookbook (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ciscockbk/) has a nice
> section on QoS (Chapter 11) and an appendix on TOS, etc. The author
> advises not to use ACLs when possible as they take more CPU in the
> router to implement and on a heavily loaded router can cause packet
> delays. So here's what our config looks like:
<snip>
> Cheers,
> Bob

Hi Bob. I'm new to TOS and DSCP, but after going over your and Rich
Adamson's responses to Steve BerkHolz's question, I read up about them.

With what you wrote above, does this mean that your Cisco router(s) deny,
allow, and route traffic based on TOS/DSCP flags, and you don't bother
with traditional ACL rules like below?:
    access-list 123 permit udp 1.2.3.4 ...

Cheers,
-- Nick
e: nick.hoffman at voxpak.com
p: +61 7 5591 3588
f: +61 7 5591 6588

If you receive this email by mistake, please notify us and do not make any
use of the email.  We do not waive any privilege, confidentiality or
copyright associated with it.