[asterisk-users] Comments on new system plan.

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Fri Sep 22 17:10:15 MST 2006

Greetings

I'm in the process of planning my first production system and wondered
if those with some experience would let me know if I'm doing anything
stupid or have some suggestions.

This is going to be used in a manufacturing facility with about 22
phones. About 10 of which are office staff. I'm not going to implement
call recording, meetme, or queues or anything fancy at this point. I'll
be using Polycom 601's and 501's for the office staff and 301's for the
plant phones. I've already had a few phones set up in my office to test
with and I've got what I need for provisioning figured out. I'll have
all the phones set to canreinvite=yes and use the transfer functions of
the phone. Voice mail will be provided for office staff. Since I don't
have that many phones and everything will be on the LAN I'm just going
to stick with ulaw for the codec.

The planned server will be an HP Proliant ML110 G3 with a 3Ghz Pentium
630 processor, 1GB of RAM, and two 80GB SATA hard drives in a RAID1
(linux software raid) configuration. I'm planning on using the on-board
gigabit network controller.

I'll have about 8 POTS lines (no caller id or call waiting) connected to
the system. I'm planning on using a Sangoma Remora A20004D (8 FXO with
on-board echo canceler). Echo is actually my biggest fear of the whole
project. There won't be any faxes coming through the server.

For the few analog phones that may be used I'll be using some SPA-3000's
I already have on hand for FXS ports.

We will have need for overhead paging eventually. This is one area I'm a
little unsure of. My current off-the-cuff plan is to use a Budgetone
phone with the headset jack plugged into the amp and set to auto-answer.
(Saw this on the wiki). I've looked at some of the other devices on the
wiki but I'm not sure how to implement them. Any advice would be
appreciated.

I'm also trying to decide whether I want to use Asterisk Business
Edition or stick with the downloaded version. Money really isn't a big
issue but I'm not sure what the pros and cons are. I know I would get a
"hardened" version thats not likely to have many bugs and support from
Digium, but I'm not sure what "version" of asterisk it is or what
features are in the 1.2 branch that aren't in ABE or vice-versa. I'm
assuming ABE is in binary form, will it even work with Sangoma hardware,
is it distro sensitive? (I was going to call Digium but ran out of time
this week).

I think that covers it. If anyone has some tips or constructive
criticism I would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks!

-Dave