[asterisk-users] Grandstream Budgetone phones don't show

Conrad Wood asterisk-users at conradwood.net
Fri Sep 22 06:54:31 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 10:57 +1000, Paul Hales wrote:
> >From memory, it can....almost....
>
> I used quite a few Grandstreams on a job a while ago, and my memory says
> that they will do alpha if you are lucky. If not, you get rubbish. My
> memory also tells me that UPPER CASE worked better than mixed case.

It's actually the same as an old-style calculator display.
something like:
 _
| |
 -
|_|

The phone *will* happily display any characters that it can with this
combination. (Meaning the firmware has provisions for alphanumeric)
e.g. "u" is fine:
|_|
and L

|_

etc..
but "D" is trouble for example.

So if you *really* wanted to, I guess, you could translate callernames
into a combination of displayable characters before passing it on.
Cool hack, but it's probably lots cheaper to buy gxp-2000s ;)

Conrad