[asterisk-users] Integrating Asterisk with LDAP Realtime

Nick Burch nick at torchbox.com
Fri Sep 22 03:34:04 MST 2006

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Nick Couchman wrote:
> When I try to set the port to 636 in the res_ldap.conf file, I get bind
> errors ("Can't contact server...").  I imagine this is an issue with
> certificates and trust, but I'm not exactly sure where I need to put my
> CA certificate in order to make the ldap module happy.

Probably wherever openssl looks for them. Try /etc/pki/tls/certs/,
/etc/ssl/certs/ or /usr/share/ssl/certs/, depending on your distro. You'll
also need to symlink the certificate to its hash, check the openssl docs
if you haven't done this before.

> I've tried to use tcpdump to see this data, but tcpdump doesn't grab the
> full packet, it truncates it at a certain point, so I can't see the
> data.

Try doing your tcpdump with "-s 0" - it tells tcpdump to "snarf" the whole
packet

Even better, use wireshark (the new name for ethereal). It'll do a very
nice job (I tend to find better than tcpdump) at showing you the contents
of you ldap queries and responses.

I haven't gotten around to playing with direct integration with asterisk
and ldap, so I can't help on your other issues.

Nick